Skip to content
Acclimating Your Fish
- Turn off your aquarium light before floating the bag on the surface.
- Try and reduce any bright lights in the room while taking fish out of the brown paper bag. Bright lights can cause severe stress or trauma and may result from sudden exposure to bright lights.
- Float the Sealed bag in the aquarium for 15 minutes. This allows the fish to settle and also starts changing the water temperature in the bag.
- After floating the sealed bag for 15 minutes its time to cut the knot of the top of the bag, roll down the sides of the bag and create a ring, this will help keep the bag afloat in the water.
- Add a small amount of aquarium water into the bag and repeat this process every 5 minutes for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes you can then slowly release your new fish into your aquarium by tilting the bag and letting the fish swim out. If you would prefer that the water in the bag didn’t go into your aquarium use a bucket and a net. Pour the fish very gently into a net and let the water run into a bucket, once the fish are in the net gently place in the aquarium and let the fish swim out.
- Ensure the aquarium light is kept off for the rest of the day as this allows the new fish to settle in.
- Once your new fish have settled in you can give them a feed the following day.